WordPress has recently released version 4.3, and there are thousands of plugins that are still working to become compatible with this latest release.
WP EasyCart has released a 4.3 compatible version, but it is critical that you update the plugin before you update WordPress.
- First, update plugins to 4.3 compatible versions. (plugins will say if they are 4.3 compatible in plugin update section)
- Second, update themes to 4.3 compatible versions. (check with your theme developer if theme is compatible)
- Lastly, update WordPress to 4.3 and process should go smoothly.
What to do if you get a white screen?
If your website automatically upgraded to 4.3, then it may break due to plugins or EasyCart not being updated prior to this core WordPress update. You may experience a white screen, or a PHP error notice saying it is having trouble loading.
1. First, you will need to log into your website through FTP and disable the plugin, for exampe /wp-content/plugins/wp-easycart folder should be renamed to /wp-easycart-old.
2. Second, you can log into wordpress admin now and see that under ‘plugins’ that the conflicting plugin has been deactivated… in this case WP EasyCart.
3. Third, go back to FTP and rename the plugin back to wp-easycart.
4. Fourth, go ahead and upgrade the plugin in question to a 4.3 compatible version.
5. Fifth, you can activate the new upgraded plugin.
6. Now you should be able to continue using WordPress as usual
Are there a list of other plugins that might not be 4.3 compatible?
Unfortunately yes, there is a huge list of plugins that this is known to have an issue with, and with automatic updater for WordPress running on many websites, this could accumulate into a huge issue. We encourage everyone to turn off automatic updates if you do not want this type of unexpected update behavior to occur on your website.
Here is a list from GitHub of plugins still needing to be upgraded: https://gist.github.com/chriscct7/d7d077afb01011b1839d