Getting your shipping pricing just right can be a tricky task. As your business grows and expands where you are shipping your products, so does the complexity of calculating a shipping cost. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when developing a shipping system that will work best for you.
- No shipping system is perfect all the time
- The goal of a shipping rate is not to be exactly correct, but to be an overall net cost of zero over the course of a year
- Leverage the zone system as needed and create new zones to improve your rate accuracy
- Choose a rate system that works best for your product
- Many see the best results from live based rates through UPS, USPS, FedEx, and Australian Post. Keep in mind this may not apply to every one.
- If shipping rates tend to increase evenly based on weight, choose weight based shipping.
- If shipping rates tend to increase evenly based on price, choose price based shipping.
- If a product tends to cost more to ship than all other products, use the additional handling charge option to adjust the shipping rate accordingly.